[Home Owners] What Happens After Closing

First time home owners, our CashInHome agent and XC loan agent have helped you to close your home transaction, what happens next? How to transition into your new home?

Congratulations! The closing papers have been signed and you are now holding the keys to your new home. At CashInHome / XCLoan, we strive to deliver an exceptional level of service in all phases of the homebuying process and are pleased to offer the following information that you may find helpful in making a smooth transition to your new home.

keys to home

Your real estate agent has supplied you with a set of keys that unlocks the doors to your new home. To ensure security, you should immediately change the locks upon moving in.


If you have not already done so, contact the local service providers to make arrangements for electricity, gas, water, phone and cable or satellite services. While some providers may need as little notice as a day to activate your services, it’s best to give them a few weeks’ notice.

owner’s title insurance policy

You may have received a Title Company Owner’s Policy at the closing table. If this service is not available in your area, you will receive your policy by mail in four-to-six weeks.

recorded deed

Once recorded in the official county records, the original deed to your home will be mailed directly to you, generally within four-to-six weeks.

loan payments

At the closing, written instructions were provided with details for making your first loan payment. You should receive your loan coupon book before your first payment is due. If you don’t receive your book, or if you have questions about your tax and insurance escrows, please contact your lender.

property taxes

At the closing, property taxes were prorated between the buyer and the seller based on occupancy time in the home. You may not receive a tax statement for the current year on the home you buy; however, it is your obligation to make sure the taxes are paid when due. Check with your lender to find out if taxes are included with your payment and if the tax bill will be paid by the lender from escrowed funds.

filing for homestead

If the home you purchased is in a homestead state, you may be required to declare homestead or file for a homestead exemption. A homestead exemption reduces the value of a home for state-tax purposes. Please check with the local county recorder’s office to determine eligibility, filing requirements and deadlines.

postal service (USPS)

Your local Post Office can provide the necessary Change of Address forms to expedite the delivery of mail to your new home. You can make the Change of Address process faster and easier by notifying everyone who sends you mail of your new address and the date of your move two weeks before you move. Many bills and statements provide an area for making an address change.

driver’s license

If your new home is located in a state other than your previous residence, you may be required by law to obtain a driver’s license issued by your state of residency. Check with the State Department of Motor Vehicles to determine eligibility and requirements.


Leave a Reply

Close Menu